Mozilla released a major update on its browser software Firefox . The latest version of Firefox is 7.0 .
New features are as follow :
- [Performance] Drastically improved memory handling for certain use cases
- [Performance] Added a new rendering backend to speed up Canvas operations on Windows systems
- [Features] Bookmark and password changes now sync almost instantly when using Firefox Sync
- [User Interface] The ‘http://’ URL prefix is now hidden by default
- [CSS3] Added support for text-overflow: ellipsis
- [Features] Added support for the Web Timing specification
- [Features] Enhanced support for MathML
- [Performance] The WebSocket protocol has been updated from version 7 to version 8
- [Reporting] Added an opt-in system for users to send performance data back to Mozilla to improve future versions of Firefox
- [Bugfix] Fixed several stability issues
- [Bugfix] Fixed several security issues
Though these new shiny features are quite attractive, Mozilla must take steps to allow Add-Ons to be forward compatible, as more & more add-ons are disabled due to recent Firefox upgrades . We almost gave up Firefox , as it makes most of the useful Add-Ons not working anymore .
To download Firefox , here are the links: ( if old version of Firefox is installed , updates will perform automatically , no manual download is needed )
- Linux ( not recommended ; please use your distribution updates instead of downloading via this link )
Google Chrome 14 ( version 14.0.835.186 ) is now available. It consists of the following features:
- Web Audio API : It allows developers to add more spectacular effects such as room simulation & spatialization
- Native Client : C and C++ can now be seamlessly be rendered in Google Chrome . However , applications have to first be listed in Google Web Store ( which this limitation will be removed later ) .
- ( Mac OS X Lion only ) Overlay Scrollbars : To align with the user interface of Lion , scrollbars will only appear when scrolling
- ( Mac OS X Lion only ) Full Screen mode : Same for Overlay Scrollbars , the full screen mode of Chrome 14 will make use of new full screen mode provided by Lion .
You don’t need to worry updating your Google Chrome , it is automatic ; If you don’t have Google Chrome , download it here
If you have any question using Google Chrome 14 , feel free to discuss here .
It’s about the time for Internet Explorer 6 (IE6), a 10-year-old browser, to retire.
Microsoft created a website, The Internet Explorer 6 Countdown , to illustrate the percentage of population still using IE6. From the statistics, China is the world’s leading IE6 usage country ( 33.6% of population is using IE6 ), probably due to the use of pirated Windows and unable to update their browsers as Windows Genuine Advantage blocks the way.
Yes, Raptor Talks suggest all the visitors to upgrade to latest Internet Explorer version, or even better, switch to Google Chrome / Mozilla Firefox . This site does not support Internet Explorer 6 .
Firefox 5 has just released .
Compared with Firefox 4, not much new features have been introduced , but there is a Sync function to allow users to sync settings between various Firefox ( either desktop / mobile ) in different devices.
Also, there are performance & rendering improvements . Here are some benchmarking and test results. Firefox 5 scores…
Anyway, to get Firefox 5 , follow the link here ( various platforms supported )
p.s. please be noted that your plug-ins (such as Google Toolbar) in use may not support this new version . So , if you rely on plug-in a lot , please don’t update your browser until updated plug-in version is released .
Google Chrome is evolving quick . Just released version 12 .
The new version includes:
- Hardware accelerated 3D CSS
- New safe browsing protection against downloading malicious files
- Ability to delete Flash cookies inside Chrome
- Launch apps by name from the Omnibox
- Integrated Sync into new settings pages
- Improved screen reader support
- (Mac only) New warning when hitting Cmd-Q
- P2P API ( can toggle in about:flags page )
- Existing tab on foreground on open
- Experimental new tab page ( can toggle in about:flags page )
- Add grouping on context menu ( can toggle in about:flags page )
- Run PPAPI (Pepper Plugin API) Flash in renderer process ( can toggle in about:flags page )
- Multiple profiles ( can toggle in about:flags page )
- Removed Google Gears
- Print & Save in PDF viewer
To download new Google Chrome, either open Google Chrome > Options > About Google Chrome or download it here .